Monday, May 21, 2007

My First Blog Entry - May 21, 2007

Starburst Pendant

Pacific Burst Pendant



I've finally decided to start a blog to keep track of my jewelry evolution. It has just been over a year that I started making jewelry. It started the day after Christmas 2005, when I was cruising around e-Bay. I discovered some sellers who were selling sparkly Swarovski crystals. I thought is would be easy way to make simple earrings and necklaces for my daughter who at that time was 9-year-old. I foolishly thought this was an inexpensive way to make presents for her friends birthdays, little did I know that my jewelry would evolve into something far more.

I gradually acquired materials to making earrings, going to my local bead store (LBS) and buying headpins, earwires, stringing materials, clasps and the list goes on.

In January 2006 I got my first order of 200 - 4mm Swarovski crystals in several colours. I searched the internet for every possible free online tutorial for making wirewrapped headpins, crimping etc. I made my first simple earrings, with 3 - 4mm Swarovski crystals on a silverplated headpin with a simple silverplated store bought kidney earwire (above is a variation of replacing the middle crystal with a freshwater pearl and experimentation of making my own earrwires. One day I fell upon Eni Oken's website, she changed my whole view on jewelry making.
I started right away wirewrapping with sterling silver wire, and spent days making pendants. The above two "burst" pendants are available for purchase through my online shop.
























No comments: