Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Evolution of the Bubbles - Study of Circles Ring/Pendant











Quite by accident I discovered something totally different last spring. To practice my soldering I did various "circles". I created 3 circle rings and wore them for awhile as stackable rings. I made two small stackable circle rings for my daughter, Emma, but they were too big, so they sat sadly on my workbench.

I then got into soldering and linking chains. As I sat at my jewelry bench one day I felt lazy, and decided to use the stackable rings I was wearing as part of a linked chain and decided to incorporate the two smaller rings. I soldered on twisted oval links and attached a big circle to an oval link then to a smaller circle... I think you get the picture. After I finished this small chain, I looked at it and wondered if it would still fit my ring finger, so I accordion the 3 big circles together and presto!!! I had a jingly new ring.

I wore this ring for a couple of days, and again as I sat at my workbench, I thought, this would make a great pendant, so I soldered on one more small twisted oval link so it would attach nicely to a necklace --- and born was the ring that converts into a pendant.

I worn this ring quite a bit and discovered that the two smaller rings fit my pinky. I can wear this ring on my pinky, on my ring finger or on both my fingers simultaneously.

I went to many jewelry shows and my jingly ring was noticed by other jewelers who kept saying to me, "what and interesting concept". This "concept" has become part of my jewelry creativity, using bracelets to extend necklaces into asymmetrical pieces
. I've called these pieces "bubbles" since this is the nickname for Emma. You may purchase my Study of Circles Pendant Ring in my Etsy Store.

1 comment:

nancyrosetta said...

I love your concept.

This ring is really fun and versatile, I would love to see it in person on the inventors finger.
Come visit me!

I love the circles, keep imagining, inventing and being creative.